Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day



I have lots of 4th of July memories.  When I was a little girl in Swedesboro, New Jersey, we spent many summer weekends  and holidays at Aunt Connie's and Uncle Bud's lake.  I remember corn on the cob cooked on the grill and eating ice cold watermelon slices.  I clearly remember our country's 1976 bicentennial.  It had only been 3 years since Billie Jean King had defeated Bobby Riggs in the "battle of the sexes" which was the beginning of a change for women, and Elton John's Philadelphia Freedom was the unofficial anthem of our country's bicentennial celebration. When Emily was little we spent many 4th of July holidays visiting Delaware. I remember one particular year we were in Rehoboth for the fireworks, but it poured with rain. Soon after, there was a rainbow. My stepfather Ken had passed away just before July 4th that year. We told the young grand kids even though there were no fireworks, PopPop Ken was sending us a message via the rainbow. Whenever I see a rainbow I always think of Ken. Another year we were having a picnic at my Dad's and I brought sparklers. I remember Roy shaking his head in doubt. I always tease my dad about the habits instilled in him from his years of working at DuPont, which is known for its worker safety. Dad wears safety glasses to hang curtain rods! Sure enough, we lit those sparklers, and I was the one who got burned! Gary and I had many great 4th of July celebrations around our pool in Fairfield, Connecticut; and we always loved walking to the beach in Fairfield to watch the fireworks. This morning I made baked beans, which are simmering; the ribs have been slow cooking all day, and will be finished off on the grill at dinnertime.  Deviled eggs are made; and candied bacon is ready as an appetizer for Gary and our surrogate nephew when they come home from the Yankees v. Twins game. Lots of great 4th of July memories, and today will be added to that memory lock box.  

Last week one of the attorneys in my office retired.  Dale's office happened to be next door to mine, so over the past 6 years that I've gotten to know him fairly well. We had a retirement luncheon celebration for him and he made a few remarks. He talked about growing up on a farm, one of 8 children. He was the first of all of his siblings and cousins to go to college. College for him was easy, he said, compared to the chores he had to do on the farm.  He's had a successful legal career, and he thanked many people who have been part of his success.  As he was finishing his remarks, he said "I want to thank America.  This is a great country which has given this farm boy from Minnesota so many opportunities, and I am grateful."

As I was cooking this morning, and thinking about my 4th of July memories, and reading all of the 4th of July posts on Facebook, and teasing my daughter, who is living in England, about going easy on the British today, and hearing about the protests in Egypt, my thoughts turned to what it means to be an American.  Simply put, I am grateful.

Just sayin'.

Laurie

John Adams famous letter to his wife Abigail, written July 3, 1776, on his thoughts about celebrating Independence Day:


The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not. (The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).

No comments:

Post a Comment