Friday, July 12, 2013

Still I Rise

Last night we were at a neighbor's house for an impromptu summer gathering.  The conversation turned to the subject of tattoos.   Did it hurt when you got yours?  What does it mean? How many do you have?  Would you get another one?  I think I'm going to get one.  One neighbor commented that her daughter wants to get her first tattoo, which has the Mom a little nervous.  I laughed, and said my daughter had just gotten her 7th tattoo on a recent trip to Budapest.  I reassured my neighbor that while it's a little hard to get used to the thought of your daughter getting tattoos, each one gets easier.

And then this morning when I checked in on Facebook, I saw that my daughter Emily had just posted a picture of her 8th tattoo, which she had done today.  All that talk from last night about each one getting easier.....well, somehow it didn't feel easy this morning.  She is just finishing grad school and applying for jobs.  My first thought was "what will prospective employers think?"  That's not really what bothered me about her new tattoo, though.  Today is an anniversary our family would like to forget, but the picture of her tattoo wouldn't let me forget. 

Two years ago today Emily was the victim of a horrific act of violence.  As a mom it has been beyond devastating to see my child experience such pain.  For a long time afterwards she was silent and shameful.   She has tried all sorts of things on her to journey to recovery - professional therapy, physical exercise, meditation, writing, studying, and advocacy walks.  Her healing process continues, and may go on for a very long time.   But she is no longer silent or shameful.   She is a courageous woman who is using all of her life experiences, her knowledge and education to empower other woman and to encourage equality.  She is a dedicated advocate to end violence against women, through social justice, community outreach and education.  She seeks diversity and inclusiveness in her life and values others who demonstrate, in words and action, the ability to look beyond differences to find commonality.

The employer who lands Emily will be very, very fortunate to have her talents, skills, and passion.  And her tattoos.

Just sayin.'

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment